Negligence of Chevron led to Ilaje fire – Ondo Speaker

0

The Ondo State House of Assembly, on Thursday said Chevron Nigeria Limited failed to quench the fire incident raging at the Ojumole Oil Well in Ugbo llaje.

The Speaker of the House, Bamidele Oleyelogun, who specially blamed Chevron asked the company to come and address the house on the matter before May 14.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the fire incident occurred on April 18, 2019 at the Ojumole Oil Well in Ugbo, llaje Local Government area of the state.

Oleyelogun said the directive followed the outcome of the committee meeting with the stakeholders at the conference room of the State House of Assembly on Thursday.

He said since Chevron officials at the meeting refused to speak on the issue in the presence of journalists, it should send qualified representatives that could speak before journalists on the matter on Tuesday.

Oleyelogun also directed the company to put off the raging fire at the oil field before the next meeting.

The Speaker said the state lawmakers would be compelled to take drastic action against the company, if it fails to appear before the house.

According to him, the company should also ensure that it put off the fire, which had polluted the sources of water and the environments in Ilaje areas of the state.

“Negligence of Chevron led to the fire incident and llaje people are being shortchanged.

“l strongly condemned the management of Chevron for not doing the needful to care for the lives and property affected as a result of the fire incident at Ojumole Oil Well.

“As a reputable company in the country, the lives and property of the host communities, where Chevron operates, should be paramount to it and should not toy with the socioeconomic activities of the host communities,” he said.

CLICK TO COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here